Sunday, March 6, 2011

Good Times At Stevens Pass

After a dismal winter, the Pacific Northwest has finally been getting a decent amount of snow fall. Well, more then just some snow fall. They have been getting pounded, all day and all night the snow just keeps dumping! Last week I was at Stevens Pass after they received 32 inches in just 24 hours, 23 of it fell after the lifts had closed the day before.
The only other time I have seen over 30 inches in 24 hours was at Grand Targhee last year. Having that much snow makes for a different kind of snowboarding. You pretty much have to just point everything, quick turns only and don't even think about going anywhere but the steeps. I think it's harder to ride that much snow, especially in the Northwest where the snow is a little heavier. A ski patroller put it best and called it "sludge".  Don't get me wrong though it was an awesome day and I hope the snow keeps coming!



Good Times from Robin Pitt on Vimeo.

No comments: